{the life} The Friday Social

by Rachel on September 14, 2012

ice cream cones

I did a few posts like this earlier this year and they were fun, so I think I’m going to commit to making it a regular thing! I like sharing the little things that have been on my mind during the previous week and hearing what’s going on with you. Consider the comments are an open thread to share, bitch, bond, or throw out questions for the other commenters.

This week…

• The weather finally took a turn for the better in Houston. We had several days where being outside was actually enjoyable…it was amazing. Unfortunately, it’s making everyone’s allergies act up. I’ve been trying to be proactive this year so I’m using my neti pot regularly and not ODing on antihistamines.
  • Our Halloween party invites came! I’m so pumped to start planning the party.
  • I found out that Houston has a margarita festival?! There’s a Groupon for it today. Between that and Caesar Fest and Halloween, I’d say October is going to be a good month (it always is). And to think I almost unsubscribed from all the daily deal sites yesterday because I felt like none of the deals were worthwhile. Nicely done, Groupon. You can stick around for a little while.
  • I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 this morning. Last week, I found out I’d won a free iPhone from a Pinterest contest put on by the Wedding Party App. The app basically lets all your guests upload the photos they take on their phones during your wedding to one place so you (and other guests) can see all of them. Pretty much perfect timing on the contest, I must say!
  • Speaking of weddings, Eric and I are about 99% sure we’ve found a venue! I won’t feel 100% sure until we actually make a deposit on it, so until we’re done collecting change from between the couch cushions, I’ll just say we’re 99% sure.
  • I’m heading to the Houston Bloggers Symposium this weekend! “Bloggers Bonding Over Bubbly”? Don’t mind if I do!

For your reading pleasure…

Editorial Masterbitch Theater: Changesock the Woman Child [A post from Persephone Magazine about a really obnoxious article on Jezebel about the “woman-child”]

“They Won’t Magically Turn You Into A Lustful Cockmonster”: Chris Kluwe Explains Gay Marriage To The Politician Who Is Offended By An NFL Player Supporting It [A Minnesota Vikings punter tells it like it is on Deadspin]

A Black Mom-In-Chief Is Revolutionary: What White Feminists Get Wrong About Michelle Obama [xojane]

Reclaiming Wife: Rocking the Ego Boat [A post about moving for your spouse from A Practical Wedding]

The Ultimate Guide to Writing Better Than You Normally Do [McSweeny’s]

That’s all I got! What’s up witchoo?

1 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

I’m so jealous that you’ve been able to order the iPhone . . . . and you basically won it!?! I don’t think the timing could have been more perfect. My husband and I are considering upgrading (we have iPhone 4)–I’m just hoping it’s worth it. You’ll have to report back after you start using it. :)

2 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 9:53 am

Will do! I currently have the 4 too. Even better timing…Eric has the 3GS (!!) and his contract ends in a couple weeks…it never works out like that! Very excited for the new toys!

3 Elle September 14, 2012 at 10:25 am

I love the links on Kluwe’s defense of gay marriage and the Black Mom-in-Chief. Fascinating reads.

4 Caity @ Moi Contre La Vie September 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

You always make me ridiculously excited for Halloween. You and your family’s costumes are always so amazing and you get so amped when Fall rolls around it makes me want to go out and trick or treat! :)

Can we get any hints on what your mom is making you and Eric this year?

5 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 9:51 am

I actually think we might be going at it on our own this year! It’s so hard for my mom to make costumes for me/us when she’s so far away. We have a few ideas but nothing nailed down yet…I’ll definitely share it once we decide!

6 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run September 14, 2012 at 9:44 am

Fun times at the Friday social! Thanks for the invite. I am way jealous about the iPhone. I will be coveting it until at least Xmas.

7 Jacki September 14, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hey girl hey! Congrats on the phone! My screen is broken in 3 places and my system is slowing down…I’m so ready for a new phone. I’m an Android girl so my current lust objects are from Samsung.

Very exciting about the wedding venue, can’t wait to hear more! :) I’ve been really happy to see how much freelance writing you’re doing. That’s awesome, and motivating.

Here’s my random thoughts for the week!

– Life has been so ridiculous this summer and not in a good way. I’m so glad it’s fall and that things are starting to settle down and become manageable and even enjoyable again.

– My new website is live. It’s not perfect, it’s not totally ready to start sharing with the whole world, but I shared it above because I’m so excited and I’m so madly in love with Wordpress after resisting its wooing for years. And I realized that I don’t want to blog just to blog … I want to write, with a side dish of blogging, so the new site has a blog but is going to be more focused on The Big Picture vs. daily lifecasting type of stuff. I don’t know. In my head, it’s exciting.

– Oh, and my 10-year high school reunion is tonight, and on the one hand I feel bad because I’m not where I “should” be 10 years out but on the other I feel like “fuck this noise, my life is basically awesome and the way I look on paper and the extra few lbs I’ll be carrying to this event do not define how successful the last 10 years have been.”

8 Dallas September 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh man, the ten year reunion! Mine is next year and I feel mostly the same way, but you know, I figure that most of my classmates aren’t totally where they thought they’d be , either!

9 Jacki September 17, 2012 at 8:01 am

Totally agree, Dallas! I really don’t think most people end up where we thought we would, and for the most part, that is okay. Although I do feel badly for the one classmate who has never moved out of his parents’ home, gotten a driver’s license or a full-time job. At 29 years old he says, every time I see him, “it feels like just yesterday” and I’m thinking yes, dude, because you haven’t done anything since high school. It makes me sad for him but he’s taken NO initiative which is really concerning.

10 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Congrats on the new website! I didn’t know you weren’t on WP…it really is the best! I’m also feelin ya on the writing with a side dish of blogging; I thought about making a visual distinction like that on my blog with this new design but I chose to mash it all together for now. Eventually I feel like I’ll need to lead with sort of a professional welcome page and tuck the blog away more, but luckily, that just involves checking a few boxes with this new design. Anyway, we should chat more about all this writing stuff. :)

Good luck at the reunion! Honestly, 10-year reunions sound so anticlimactic to me now. Like…I see these people on Facebook constantly…there won’t be any big surprises!

11 Jacki September 17, 2012 at 8:04 am

Yes we should! Right now I’m bursting with ideas, I think it’s fall … this summer has been a writing drought.

WP is amazing. I don’t know why I held out so long. I bought a theme on ThemeForest and with a little bit of playing around had it looking how I wanted it. Eventually I’ll probably have something custom designed but for now this is a really inexpensive solution that I’m happy with!

The reunion was wildly anticlimactic, lol. But that’s kind of a good thing, because I didn’t feel bad skipping half of it to go play with my future stepkid and nieces. :)

12 emily hassman September 14, 2012 at 10:41 am

I saw a great illustration of the Lustful Cockmonster quote this week: http://chrispiascik.com/2012/09/lustful-cockmonster/ (uhhh… nsfw. as evidenced by the word cock.)

The post on Michelle Obama and rocking the ego boat were both great lunch-time reads!

13 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 3:22 pm

THAT IS AWESOME.

14 Houston Margarita Festival September 14, 2012 at 11:12 am

We’re so happy to hear that you’ve heard about the Houston Margarita Festival, Rachel! We would love to have you come out and cover the event as our guest – sampling margaritas and delicious foods from local vendors. Let us know if you’re interested, we would love to have you!

The Houston Margarita Festival

15 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 11:53 am

Hey, thanks! I already bought my tickets but I’ll shoot you an e-mail later today about how we might work together!

16 Mel September 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Glad this feature is back! It was a hit last year

17 Meghan Coulter September 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I feel like a chicken with it’s head cut off. It is time to start making lists of all the things that are floating in my brain. I have a pretty good memory but it slips as I get busy.

I am entertaining the idea of LaB 5555 tonight. I like Bees and the Museum and Food Trucks.

Halloween. It is happening. Soon. Will start DIY crafts soon…

Watching videos from Burning Man, makes me a little sad about sitting in my desk. Hulahoop video.

Maybe I would like to write stuff. In a blog. We’ll see. I’m not very good at writing, but well, practice?

I love Birchbox, but their shipping blows.

18 Kristen September 15, 2012 at 10:45 am

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this week’s posts! Since just starting my healthy-living-type blog my reading has been a little light. These are some powerful thoughts which I’ll need to digest for a while before writing about them. Except for the whole “cockmonster” thing, that I had to facebook about immediately!
Another powerful post I’ve read lately is http://www.happyfitmama.com/the-double-standard/
Why oh why do we continue to do this?

19 Laura M September 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

Rachel… Did you hear anything about how Apple sold out of phones in the first hour? I pre-ordered my phone on Friday, too and had no clue that they were all sold out until after I purchased (nothing seemed to indicate that it would take longer than usual).

20 Rachel September 17, 2012 at 7:53 am

No, I didn’t know that! I wonder what that means for pre-orders…I’m thinking they’ll have to update us if it’s going to take much longer than estimated, right?

21 Laura M September 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

Right. I have no clue! My order said it would ship in two weeks which is a week after the retail release date. I guess I stupidly assumed that it would arrive at my doorstep around the 21st without looking at the calendar!

22 Annabelle September 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I am so envious that you have a local margarita festival. That sounds like straight-up heaven to me! And now I’m just seriously craving a post-work margarita…

On random sharing for the week:

~ It’s been on my mind for a good long while now, but I’m seriously considering the idea of starting up some kind of blog. My biggest hurdle to get over has always been just what the hell would I blog about? I love the idea of just putting my voice out there and seeing what happens, but I guess I just have no idea what makes my voice different from all the rest already out there, or what makes it unique enough for anyone to want to stop and pay attention, if that makes sense? Maybe I’ll figure it out eventually.

23 Rachel September 17, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I think that’s a pretty common fear with starting a blog but the thing is…there are plenty of blogs out there that aren’t different from all the rest, and so what? If you’re having fun writing it and have a solid following (even if it’s small or extra-small), why not?? You know?